HBase >> mail # user >> major_compact progress report ?

major_compact progress report ?
Hello,

I'm trying to apply major_compact on some of my tables to enable GZ
compression on the fly.

when I do:

$ major_compact 'table"

I don't see any info and I know how to follow the progress of the
compaction. Is it instantaneous (I guess not)? Is there a log file
where I can see the progress of the operation?

When I count the number of regions of my table, it is still the same
before and after compression and compaction has been applied. Did I
miss something here ?

Best regards,