HBase >> mail # dev >> proper pace for JIRA integration

Re: proper pace for JIRA integration
Andrew,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yeah, DoA is harsh, when I meant more like "abandoned at release". Similar to 0.21.
>
> Well that is my question, really. Is it?

Personally, I don't remember 0.21 being deployed anywhere in
production (I could be
wrong and would love to be corrected). With 0.22 there's at least EBay
and one other
reasonably big shop I know of that will be deploying it to production clusters.
Thus, IMHO, they are not similar in that regard.

> We've heard that CDH4 is going to be start from something a lot closer to 0.23 than 0.22,
> that Hortonworks is committed to 0.23. It seems 0.23 is the future, and a RC may be
> happening as early as the end of this year, i.e. in the next month or so.
>
> Given recent history and the above described commitments, I think there is confusion about where/if 0.22 fits in.
> People will work on what inspires them, but it seems the center of gravity has already moved beyond 0.22.
> Is that a fair statement?

>From my point of view, it will be fair to call 0.22 a *stable* stop
gap release before
0.23 matures. How long does the window of exposure for 0.22 last? Your guess is
as good as mine. At times I wish that HDFS and MR2 release work in .23
were done
as different projects. Take it with a grain of salt, but I believe
that MR2 will be holding
.23 back in terms of  deployment.

So here's the bottom line the way I see it: the worst that could
happen to an OS project
is to be a hostage of a NEXT great thing (KDE and other examples come to mind
readily). When Hadoop 0.23 will be stable enough -- it will surely
obsolete .22, in
the meantime we will have .22 to fill the gap.

> Then I'm sure the eBay guys will have that interest. :-)

That's the beauty of Open Source. On the other hand, since you asked a
"community"
question I was compelled to point out that there would be a reasonably
sizable community
running .22/HBase.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Sorry for making this thread longer than it had to be. Lets take
it off-list from this reply on.