Hadoop, mail # general - HADOOP-7106: Re-organize hadoop subversion layout

+
Nigel Daley 2011-04-10, 06:09
+
Nigel Daley 2011-04-20, 05:02
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-04-20, 05:20
+
Nigel Daley 2011-04-20, 05:30
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-04-20, 05:58
+
Ian Holsman 2011-04-20, 13:07
+
Owen OMalley 2011-04-20, 15:00
+
Paul Davis 2011-04-20, 15:32
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-04-20, 19:26
+
Ian Holsman 2011-04-21, 10:33
+
Nigel Daley 2011-04-21, 04:42
+
Nigel Daley 2011-04-29, 05:06
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-04-29, 06:24
+
Owen OMalley 2011-04-29, 18:36
+
Nigel Daley 2011-04-29, 20:16
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-05-06, 20:04
+
Paul Davis 2011-05-06, 20:20
Re: HADOOP-7106: Re-organize hadoop subversion layout
Suresh Srinivas 2011-04-29, 18:17
Nigel,

I have committed federation merge into trunk. Thank you for waiting for it
to be done.

Regards,
Suresh
On 4/28/11 10:06 PM, "Nigel Daley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As announced last week, I'm planning to do this at 2pm PDT tomorrow (Friday)
> April 29.
>
> Suresh, when do you plan to commit HFS-1052?  That should be done first.
>
> Owen or Todd, did you want to follow Paul's advice:
>> If you're really wanting to make sure to keep the history in Git
>> intact my suggestion would be to setup a temporary svn server locally
>> and test our mirroring scripts against the commands you intend to run.
> If so, how much more time do you need?
>
> Cheers,
> Nige
>
> On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> Owen, I'll admit I'm not familiar with all the git details/issues in your
>> proposal, but I think the layout change you propose is fine and seems to
>> solve the git issues with very minimal impact on the layout.
>>
>> Let's shoot for doing this next Friday, April 29 at 2pm PDT.  I'll update the
>> patch and send out a reminder about this later next week.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nige

>>> Uh, why isn't infra-dev on this thread?
>>>
>>> For those on infra-dev, the context is that Nigel is trying to merge
>>> together the source trees of the Hadoop sub-projects that were split apart 2
>>> years ago. So he is taking:
>>>
>>> prefix = http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/
>>>
>>> $prefix/common/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/common
>>> $prefix/hdfs/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/hdfs
>>> $prefix/mapreduce/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/mapreduce
>>>
>>> and play similar games with the rest of the branches and tags. For more
>>> details look at HADOOP-7106.
>>>
>>> From the project split, subversion was able to track the history across the
>>> subversion moves between projects, but not git.
>>>
>>> Four questions:
>>> 1. Is there anything we can do to minimize the history loss in git?
>>> 2. Are we going to be able to preserve our sha's or are they going to change
>>> again?
>>> 3. What changes do we need to make to the subversion notification file?
>>> 4. Are there any other changes that need to be coordinated?
>>>
>>> After considering it this morning, I believe that the least disruptive move
>>> is to leave common at the same url and merge hdfs and mapreduce back in:
>>>
>>> $prefix/common/trunk/* -> $prefix/common/trunk/common/*
>>> $prefix/hdfs/trunk -> $prefix/common/trunk/hdfs
>>> $prefix/mapreduce/trunk -> $prefix/common/trunk/mapreduce
>>>
>>> This will preserve the hashes and history for common (and the 20 branches).
>>> We'll still need to play git voodoo to get git history for hdfs and
>>> mapreduce, but it is far better than starting a brand new git clone.
>>>
>>> -- Owen

+
Owen OMalley 2011-04-20, 08:07