HBase, mail # user - Multiple region servers per physical node

Multiple region servers per physical node
Sudarshan Kadambi 2013-07-29, 21:19
If someone was contemplating running multiple HBase region servers per node, what would you tell him? I've lots of RAM on my machines and I want HBase to be able to make the most of it. Heaps larger than 12-16G have significant gc penalties. I could try to have a larger cache off-heap, but that feature is considered to be not fully baked in yet (according to people in the know). The option left over is to run multiple region servers per node. What are the downsides to that?

Regards,
-sudarshan