HBase >> mail # dev >> [UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

[UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues
The end of July is upon us.  I intend to cut a 0.95.2 next weekend and
0.95.2 will be 0.96.0 but for bug fixes and migration polish.  No more
'features' will be allowed after next weekend.

I have done some moving around of hbase 0.95.2 issues [1] to reflect what
the priorities are for this week (to my mind).  It is all about polish, bad
bugs, unit test failures, and packaging/publishing/build issues.

I'll be working on the blockers this week [2].  A few are in need of
reviews; e.g. "HBASE-3787 Increment is non-idempotent but client retries
RPC".  Feel free to take over any blockers if you'd like to help out: e.g.
"HBASE-7386 Investigate providing some supervisor support for znode
deletion"

Criticals [3] are mostly just unit test issues that are probably fixed by
now and another few that are patches in need of test/review: e.g.
"HBASE-8874 PutCombiner is skipping KeyValues while combining puts of same
row during bulkload" and "HBASE-8778 Region assigments scan table directory
making them slow for huge tables".
 "HBASE-6127 TestAtomicOperation#testMultiRowMutationMultiThreads
occasionally fails" is a bad one in need of attention.  Again, if up for
helping out, be our guest.

There are some great patches hanging out in the priority major issues
section that are patch available that could be committed but for want of
review: e.g. "HBASE-8369 MapReduce over snapshot files".

Regards the big features that are racing to make the 0.96 cutoff -- namely
namespaces, tags, and serialization lib -- as I see it, Francis needs
reviews if namespaces are to make it, tags ditto, and the serialization
libs are nice-to-have auxillaries that can come in at any time.  If not
done by the end of this week, then as I see it, these features do not make
the cut.

Unit tests are mostly passing.  The problematics are being worked on (e.g.
JD is on the replication set -- it likely a real problem rather than a
flakey test).

How's the above sound?
St.Ack

P.S. It is late but if folks want to meet this week to hack in patches
together, just say.  I could organize an afternoon or day if you all think
it would be a good idea.

1.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12320040#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel
2.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
3.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Critical%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC