Accumulo >> mail # dev >> ACCUMULO-958 - Pluggable encryption in walogs

+
Josh Elser 2013-01-30, 14:13
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-01-30, 14:50
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-01-30, 14:51
+
Eric Newton 2013-01-30, 15:09
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-01-30, 15:40
+
William Slacum 2013-01-30, 16:05
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-01-30, 18:45
+
Keith Turner 2013-01-30, 19:20
+
William Slacum 2013-01-30, 19:02
+
Keith Turner 2013-01-30, 19:26
+
Benson Margulies 2013-01-30, 20:13
+
Josh Elser 2013-01-31, 02:24
Re: ACCUMULO-958 - Pluggable encryption in walogs
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Adam Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let me attempt to make another argument for why the 958 patch should be
> included in 1.5.0. What this patch represents is not an encryption solution
> for WAL, but an experimental extension point that will be used for building
> an encryption solution as a pluggable module. We need to judge its merit
> based on whether it is a successful experimental extension point or not.
> There are three main reasons for including the patch in 1.5.0:
> 1. Test the performance impact of the null cipher solution (default
> configuration) in all the performance tests we will be running for the

I do experiments all of the time w/o including half done things in a release.

Should I include the following in 1.5.0 just so I can experiment with
it?  I was working on it got sidetracked and never got back to it.  At
this point I am uncertain of its utility. It needs further
experimentation.

https://github.com/keith-turner/accumulo/tree/ACCUMULO-551

> 1.5.0 release. If it causes problems there then we can roll it back.
> 2. Enable the use of this extension after 1.5 is released. External
> experiments have dependencies on this extension point. Without the
> extension point we will have to test with unreleased versions of Accumulo,
> which would be less than ideal.

Back to ACCUMULO-551 I did experiements with that with not problem w/o
including it in a release.  I just created a version of accumulo
called accumulo-551-snapshot so no one would be confused if they
encountered it.  What is wrong with the approach?

> 3. It is not harmful and somebody wants it. The reason for wanting this
> code in is well documented, so you need a very strong reason to throw it
> out. Otherwise you will encourage forking of the project (which would be
> bad).

Forking over this seems illogical.

If we leave it in and hide it, then should all of the configuration
properties be removed?

I would consider the config props to be part of the public API and not
easily modified in the future.  Since the props may change as the full
implementation evolves, I think it would make sense to remove them
from the public API.  If left, we should modify the config to support
marking the config props as experimental and also modify the code that
generates config documentation.  I just want to avoid boxing ourselves
in or having to make things confusing for users.

> Adam
>

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Eric Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Some comments about the comments in ACCUMULO-958:
>>
>> Josh writes:
>>
>> "We still have the ability to review this even after the feature freeze
>> happens, it's just frustrating from my point of view in generating the best
>> 1.5.0 candidate possible (we tend to go through x.y.0 releases pretty darn
>> quick)."
>>
>> John writes:
>>
>> "Yes, but we get stuck on x.y.* for a year or so, so it does become a race
>> to get all the features you want to see in the next year."
>>
>> As Accumulo matures, we will need to start thinking a little more flexibly
>> about what goes into minor releases.  We have implemented new (small)
>> features in minor releases before.
>>
>> I would have no problem including ACCUMULO-958 into 1.5.1 after a test
>> phase, and after some basic experience with the feature.  However I'm very
>> uncomfortable including this in 1.5.0 because there is not a single test,
>> and no real implementation behind the factory that anyone would use In Real
>> Life.  Is this an appropriate API?  I have no idea.  Comments in the code
>> about the stability of the interface basically admit that the author isn't
>> completely comfortable with it, either.
>>
>> Let's not rush it, and when it is done right, I'm all for putting it into
>> the next release.  For now, I would hold back incorporating these changes
>> until they are more fully implemented. After we branch 1.5, commit this to
>> trunk, and back-port it to the 1.5 branch when experience and tests show it
+
dlmarion@... 2013-01-30, 17:49
+
Aaron Cordova 2013-01-30, 18:29