Hive, mail # user - Questions for the future work of Hive

RE: Questions for the future work of Hive
Ashish Thusoo 2009-08-05, 19:08
Do you also need to be able to append the new data to an existing partition?

Ashish

________________________________
From: Schubert Zhang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Questions for the future work of Hive

Thanks Zheng.

Regards to automatic-multi-partition insertion, is it the future stuff "Inserts without listing partitions"?
In our applications, we really want this feature, since our data will come into data warehouse continually and we cannot know which partition before read each row.

Regards to Hive backended by HBase, I think it can also store persistent data in HBase, with following advantages:
1. The placement of each row are handled by HBase.
2. The stored rows are sorted and indexed by HBase, and the index is a global table index.
3. The data in HBase can provide SQL query interface via Hive.
Schubert