From: lars hofhansl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HBase Put

In a nutshell:
- Puts are collected in memory (in a sorted data structure)
- When the collected data reaches a certain size it is flushed to a new file (which is sorted)
- Gets do a merge sort between the various files that have been created
- to contain the number of files they are periodically compacted into fewer, larger files
So the data files (HFiles) are immutable once written, changes are batched in memory first.

-- Lars