Flume, mail # user - In flume-ng is there any advantages of 2-tier topology in  a cluster of  30-40 nodes?

+
Jagadish Bihani 2013-01-30, 06:05
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-01-30, 06:26
+
Jagadish Bihani 2013-01-30, 14:43
+
Jagadish Bihani 2013-02-01, 11:08
Re: In flume-ng is there any advantages of 2-tier topology in  a cluster of  30-40 nodes?
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-02-01, 13:15
Ah, I missed your response. Inline

On Jan 30, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Jagadish Bihani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks  Alexander for the reply.
> I have added my thoughts in line.
>
> On 01/30/2013 11:56 AM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If the agents (Tier 1) have access to HDFS, each single client can put data into HDFS. But this doesn't make really sense, instead you want different files from different hosts in a structured view (maybe per host a directory, the contents inside split into buckets).
> -- But if number of clients are lesser (say 30-40) why doesn't it make sense to write directly?
> Because ultimately purpose is to deliver the source data to HDFS directly. (say in a single HDFS directory).

Since every agent writes his own file into HDFS, if this doesn't matter, it will work. For 40 or less agents the impact for you HDFS could be going high, depends on the delivery from the agents and can stress out your network. Are the agents on a HDFS node directly or connect they over a dedicated network?

>> When you implement a Tier 2 (maybe 2 or more servers who has access to HDFS), you can have more features like loadbalancing, HA and mirrored sinks, as example (one sink put the data into HDFS, the other sink into a other system for backup maybe). For stability and reliability a Tier 2 architecture is recommend. And made some things easier ;)
> -- I didnt get the point how we get HA and load balancing using 2 tiers.  e.g.
> 1. If HDFS goes down then both in 1 tier case and 2 tier
> case channel will grow until its maximum size.
> 2. If in 1-tier scenario one node goes down then its data wont reach HDFS.
> Similarly in 2 tier scenario : if a node from 1st tier goes down then its data
> wont reach HDFS.

Thats correct. Here you have no advantage from a Tier2 solution.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com