Flume, mail # user - Reliable delivery of the events

+
Guy Peleg 2012-12-13, 05:42
Re: Reliable delivery of the events
Hari Shreedharan 2012-12-13, 06:20
Yes, if you use Flume's RpcClient interface, then you can lose data based on how your code (which uses the RpcClient code) handles exceptions. If the RpcClient cannot deliver the event it does throw an EventDeliveryException. You could catch this exception and retry, but yes, you will need some way to make sure you can handle multiple failures in some way.

We recently added support for embedding a Flume agent within a host process. In this case, you'd be able to embed a Flume agent within your process, so the embedded Flume agent can handle downstream failure for a longer time. Your code will receive exceptions only when the embedded agent's channel is full or experiences some other failure. This jira contains more information: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1502. Unfortunately, this is not yet available in a release, but you could use Flume trunk and build it locally if you need to deploy it urgently.
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan