HBase, mail # dev - Issues with delete markers

+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-30, 19:03
+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-30, 19:35
+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-30, 20:03
Re: Issues with delete markers
Varun Sharma 2013-06-30, 20:56
Sorry, typo, i meant that for user scans, should we be passing delete
markers through.the filters as well ?

Varun
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For user scans, i feel we should be passing delete markers through as well.
>

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> I tried this a little bit and it seems that filters are not called on
>> delete markers. For raw scans returning delete markers, does it make sense
>> to do that ?
>>
>> Varun
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are having an issue with the way HBase does handling of deletes. We
>>> are looking to retrieve 300 columns in a row but the row has tens of
>>> thousands of delete markers in it before we span the 300 columns something
>>> like this
>>>

>>> row  DeleteCol1 Col1  DeleteCol2 Col2 ................... DeleteCol3 Col3
>>>
>>> And so on. Therefore, the issue here, being that to retrieve these 300
>>> columns, we need to go through tens of thousands of deletes - sometimes we
>>> get a spurt of these queries and that DDoSes a region server. We are okay
>>> with saying, only return first 300 columns and stop once you encounter, say
>>> 5K column delete markers or something.
>>>
>>> I wonder if such a construct is provided by HBase or do we need to build
>>> something on top of the RAW scan and handle the delete masking there.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Varun

+
Jesse Yates 2013-06-30, 23:00