Pig >> mail # dev >> pig 0.11 candidate 2 feedback: Several problems

+
Kai Londenberg 2013-02-18, 10:27
Re: pig 0.11 candidate 2 feedback: Several problems
Thanks Kai for reporting these.

What do people think about the severity of these issues w.r.t. Pig 11? I
see a few possible options:

1. We include some or all of these patches in a new Pig 11 rc. We'd want to
make sure that they don't destabilize the current branch. This approach
makes sense if we think Pig 11 wouldn't be a good release without one or
more of these included.

2. We continue with the Pig 11 release without these, but then include one
or more in a 0.11.1 release.

3. We continue with the Pig 11 release without these, but then include them
in a 0.12 release.

Jon has a patch for the MAP issue
(PIG-3144<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3144>)
ready, which seems like the most pressing of the three to me.

thanks,
Bill

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Kai Londenberg <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just subscribed to the dev mailing list in order to give you some
> feedback on pig 0.11 candidate 2.
>
> The following three issues are currently present in 0.11 candidate 2:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3144 - 'Erroneous map entry
> alias resolution leading to "Duplicate schema alias" errors'
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3194 - Changes to
> ObjectSerializer.java break compatibility with Hadoop 0.20.2
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3195 - Race Condition in
> PhysicalOperator leads to ExecException "Error while trying to get
> next result in POStream"
>
> The last two of these are easily solveable (see the tickets for
> details on that). The first one is a bit trickier I think, but at
> least there is a workaround for it (pass Map fields through an UDF)
>
> In my personal opinion, each of these problems is pretty severe, but
> opinions about the importance of the MAP Datatype and STREAM Operator,
> as well as Hadoop 0.20.2 compatibility might differ.
>
> so far ..
>
> Kai Londenberg

[EMAIL PROTECTED] going forward.*
+