Hadoop >> mail # general >> Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-02, 20:07
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-02, 20:40
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-02, 21:05
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-02, 21:21
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-02, 21:33
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-02, 21:48
+
Ian Holsman 2011-05-02, 21:49
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-02, 22:19
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-02, 21:55
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-04, 00:16
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-04, 01:01
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-04, 23:46
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-05-02, 22:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-05-02, 22:14
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-02, 22:15
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-02, 22:19
+
Doug Cutting 2011-05-02, 22:25
+
Jake Cornelius 2011-05-02, 22:31
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-05-03, 08:39
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-03, 17:02
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-05-03, 23:58
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-05-08, 05:41
+
Owen OMalley 2011-05-11, 17:36
+
Ian Holsman 2011-05-11, 17:38
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-05-11, 18:40
+
Owen OMalley 2011-05-11, 22:10
+
Raghu Angadi 2011-05-11, 19:09
+
Owen OMalley 2011-05-04, 17:31
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-04, 19:17
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-05-04, 20:26
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-05-04, 20:17
+
Owen OMalley 2011-05-04, 23:19
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-04, 22:03
+
Suresh Srinivas 2011-05-04, 22:06
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-04, 22:24
+
Jakob Homan 2011-05-04, 22:29
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-04, 22:36
+
Tsz Wo \ 2011-05-04, 23:09
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-04, 23:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-04, 23:11
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-05-04, 23:44
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-05-04, 23:55
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-05-05, 00:05
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-05, 00:22
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-05-05, 00:30
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-05, 00:39
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-05-05, 00:43
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-05-05, 01:18
+
Eli Collins 2011-05-05, 01:24
+
Roy T. Fielding 2011-05-05, 01:56
+
Dhruba Borthakur 2011-05-05, 02:20
+
Nigel Daley 2011-05-05, 04:17
Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
-1.

As Roy says, "whatever gets released will define the new norm by which
policies are assumed", and I certainly don't want this project to change its
norms to accommodate bad practices. In particular, Eli presented three very
reasonable technical objections to this release. To summarize:

1) Let's get the JIRAs that are going into this release into trunk first.
2) Let's create a JIRA for each issue in the release.
3) Let's stick to the release numbering conventions established for this
project.

I know the folks at Yahoo! are all professional engineers and done
tremendous work to help get the project to this point. There's no doubt in
my mind they understand the validity of the above three technical
objections. In fact, many of them helped author our "How to Contribute"
page, which established these conventions:
wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute. We develop new features against
trunk, we create JIRAs for each issue, we review code before it goes into
trunk, and we only update old releases with bug fixes.

I couldn't be more excited to have Yahoo! once again doing development in
Apache, and I hope that we can work together to get the work that you've
done in this branch into one of our upcoming feature releases.

I hope those who voted +1 before Roy clarified what a release vote will mean
for future project norms will reconsider their votes.

While there may be many competing agendas in this community, we all wish to
see Apache Hadoop releases of the highest quality. Changing our norms to
allow huge, unreviewed patch sets introducing new features into a past
release is a step in the wrong direction.

With a little bit of elbow grease, we can get the work done in this branch
into trunk, get 0.22 out the door, and be ready for a great 0.23 release.

Later,
Jeff

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Nigel Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm really not sure yet how to vote here.  I was going to vote +1 for what
> I was told by a number of Yahoo! committers would be a one time release as
> Yahoo! "comes back to Apache" after a hiatus last fall/winter and ended
> their own distribution.  Clearly this code was not all developed as a
> community process, but I was going to support a one time release of what
> they had developed in exclusion.
>
> Then I read Roy's email, which confused me.  We would he or I or anyone
> else support this release setting precedent or policy since it would walk
> all over our bylaws, community process, and the consensus nature of our
> foundation?  This release vote is a lazy majority of the PMC, but other
> decisions rolled up in this are supposed to be lazy majority of active
> committers or, in the case of code changes, a lazy consensus.  Setting
> policy by this release means any sufficiently large group of committers
> could go off and develop on their own and then commit it to a branch and
> call a release.
>
> Furthermore, it now sounds like this is possibly the first in a line of
> feature releases off this branch.  Bug fixes releases, sure.  But feature
> releases?  What's wrong with trunk?
>
> Nige
>
> On May 4, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > On May 4, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
> >
> >> The point is that these discussion should be sorted out, ie you don't
> >> change your development and release model on a release VOTE thread,
> >> you change it on a DISCUSSION thread.
> >
> > That is no different than saying you have a right to veto a
> > release until the issue is addressed, which you don't have.
> >
> > A release vote is a majority decision.  If the majority
> > decides to release, then whatever gets released will define
> > the new norm by which policies are assumed.  If not released,
> > then I suggest collaborating more on the policies before
> > trying to vote again.
> >
> > Either way, we don't hold up a vote for the sake of a
> > policy discussion because voting is a more efficient
> > means of discovering if the policy really matters.
> >
> > ....Roy

+
Eric Sammer 2011-05-05, 05:47
+