MapReduce >> mail # user >> RE: Maximum Storage size in a Single datanode

RE: Maximum Storage size in a Single datanode
Jeba,

I'm not aware of any hadoop limitations in this respect (others may be able
to comment on this); since blocks are just files on the OS, the datanode
will create subdirectories to store blocks to avoid problems with large
numbers of files in a single directory. So I would think the limitations are
primarily around the type of file system you select, for ext3 it
theoretically supports up to 16TB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3) and
for ext4 up to 1EB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4). Although you're
probably already planning on deploying 64-bit servers, I believe for large
FS on ext4 you'd be better off with a 64-bit server.

As far as OS is concerned anecdotally (based on blogs, hadoop mailing lists
etc) I believe there are more production deployments using RHEL and/or
CentOS than Ubuntu.

It's probably not practical to have nodes with 1PB of data for the reasons
that others have mentioned and due to the replication traffic that will be
generated if the node dies. Not to mention fsck times with large file
systems.

Vijay