MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Release numbering for branch-2 releases

+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 20:56
+
Stack 2013-01-31, 05:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-31, 20:12
+
Stack 2013-02-01, 20:35
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 10:34
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-01, 18:52
Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases

On Feb 1, 2013, at 2:34 AM, Tom White wrote:
> Whereas Arun is proposing
>
>  2.0.0-alpha, 2.0.1-alpha, 2.0.2-alpha, 2.1.0-alpha, 2.2.0-beta, 2.3.0
>
> and the casual observer might expect there to be a stable 2.0.1 (say)
> on seeing the existence of 2.0.2-alpha.
>
> The first three of these are already released, so I don't think we
> could switch to the Semantic Versioning scheme at this stage. We could
> for release 3 though.

I agree that would have been slightly better, unfortunately it's too late now - a new versioning scheme would be even more confusing!

Would it better to have 2.0.3-alpha, 2.0.4-beta and then make 2.1 as a stable release? This way we just have one series (2.0.x) which is not suitable for general consumption.

I'm ok either way, but I want to just make a decision and move on to making the release asap, appreciate a quick resolution.

thanks,
Arun
+
Stack 2013-02-04, 19:53
+
Owen OMalley 2013-02-04, 21:07
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 22:14
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-04, 22:36
+
Steve Loughran 2013-02-05, 04:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 19:20
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 00:21
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-31, 01:10
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 19:51
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 22:40
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-01-30, 23:32
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 11:03
+
Stack 2013-02-03, 03:00