HBase >> mail # user >> Data Locality, HBase? Or Hadoop?

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2012-12-03, 15:04
+
Kevin Odell 2012-12-03, 15:08
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2012-12-03, 15:16
+
Kevin Odell 2012-12-03, 15:19
Re: Data Locality, HBase? Or Hadoop?

Hi there-

This is also discussed in the Regions section in the RefGuide:

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#regions.arch

9.7.3. Region-RegionServer Locality
On 12/3/12 10:08 AM, "Kevin O'dell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>JM,
>
>  If you have disabled the balancer and are manually moving regions, you
>will need to run a compaction on those regions.  That is the only(logical)
>way of bringing the data local.  HDFS does not have a concept of HBase
>locality.  HBase locality is all managed through major and minor
>compactions.
>
>On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering who is taking care of the data locality. Is it hadoop? Or
>> hbase?
>>
>> Let's say I have disabled the load balancer and I'm manually moving a
>> region to a specific server. Who is going to take care that the data
>> is going to be on the same datanode as the regionserver I moved the
>> region to? Is hadoop going to see that my region is now on this region
>> server and make sure my data is moved there too? Or is hbase going to
>> ask hadoop to do it?
>>
>> Or, since I moved it manually, there is not any data locality
>>guaranteed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> JM
>>

>--