Hadoop >> mail # general >> Trademarks and Derivative Works

Re: Trademarks and Derivative Works
On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Segel, Mike wrote:

> Unfortunately what you're saying is that you would only approve of companies that build their products on top of Apache's release and doesn't modify the Apache release.

No, that isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that if they want to call what they are shipping Hadoop, it has to be an Apache release. Derived works may be "powered by Hadoop." Please see the original proposal here:  http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop

> This interpretation of  "powered by Hadoop" would unfortunately lead to as many problems as it attempts to solve.
> First, many choose Cloudera's release because they sell commercial support. So in choosing Cloudera's release, they would lose the ability to say "powered by Hadoop".
> This diminishes the branding message.

No, you misread the proposal. They *would* be able to say their product was "powered by Hadoop". What would be prohibited would be calling a derivative work "Hadoop."

>  (I'm not forgetting about Yahoo!, but are they releasing their own version as well?)

Not for the last year.

> I hope that you start to see the dangers on taking a narrow approach in how you define Hadoop.

I'm trying to learn.

-- Owen