HBase >> mail # user >> When to expand vertically vs. horizontally in Hbase

+
Aji Janis 2013-07-02, 13:32
+
Bryan Beaudreault 2013-07-02, 13:56
+
Aji Janis 2013-07-03, 13:42
+
Asaf Mesika 2013-07-03, 19:42
+
Aji Janis 2013-07-05, 13:53
+
Michael Segel 2013-07-05, 16:07
+
Aji Janis 2013-07-05, 16:16
+
Michael Segel 2013-07-05, 17:48
+
Ian Varley 2013-07-05, 18:26
Re: When to expand vertically vs. horizontally in Hbase
LOL...

Ian wrote:
"But, something just occurred to me: just because your physical implementation (HBase) doesn't support normalized entities and relationships doesn't mean your *problem* doesn't have entities and relationships. :) An Author is one entity, a Title is another, and a Genre is a third. Understanding how they interact is a prerequisite for translating into a physical model that works well in HBase. (ERD modeling is not categorically the only way to understand that, but I've yet to hear a credible alternative that doesn't boil down to either ERD or "do it in your head").
"

You can have entities, except that they are not coupled.

If you have a common key, then you may have a use for column families, it just depends on your data and how you access your data.

Its not rocket science, but its a non-trivial matter. Not doing it right may mean that you are not going to get the most out of your system.
On Jul 5, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Ian Varley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But, something just occurred to me: just because your physical implementation (HBase) doesn't support normalized entities and relationships doesn't mean your *problem* doesn't have entities and relationships. :) An Author is one entity, a Title is another, and a Genre is a third. Understanding how they interact is a prerequisite for translating into a physical model that works well in HBase. (ERD modeling is not categorically the only way to understand that, but I've yet to hear a credible alternative that doesn't boil down to either ERD or "do it in your head").

+
Ian Varley 2013-07-05, 18:56
+
Michael Segel 2013-07-05, 21:21