Kafka >> mail # user >> should I be able to start and stop servers repeatedly in the same process?

should I be able to start and stop servers repeatedly in the same process?
For unit tests, I'm wanting to start and stop instances of my containerized
kafka server, repeatedly in the same test suite.

Unfortunately, I'm noticing that there appears to be strange ordering
dependencies, my tests pass or fail depending on which order they run in
the process.

I'm starting and stopping a brand new instance (with a new temp log dir)
each time, and starting and stopping a fresh zk instance each time (with it
having a fresh temp log/data/dirs each time).

Is there some global state dependency?

Essentially, what I'm seeing, is if the first test sends and receives a
message, then everything subsequently succeeds.  However, if the first test
starts everything up, but then never sends a message, then shuts down, then
subsequent tests which send events never succeed (e.g. messages never get
received).

Should this sort of thing work ok?

Jason