Zookeeper >> mail # user >> More sync questions

Re: More sync questions
In the way I understood the question, Jordan seems to have observed
that sync() is not affecting exists (correct me if I'm wrong, please).
If that's the case, then I believe we have a bug.

-Flavio

On Nov 23, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Jordan Zimmerman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> A while back I asked about sync() and got responses that said it's
>> only needed for reads (getData, getChildren). I was looking through
>> the source and it appears that this does _not_ apply to exsists().
>> Am I reading that correctly? i.e. will exists() always return an
>> accurate (in terms of the leader) view of a node's metadata?
>
> No, sync applies to any read. We call it "slow read" in some cases
> because it forces the follower to get up to date with the leader.
>
> Keep in mind that any read from any server is never "accurate" at
> least in the sense that you likely mean it. e.g. the state of
> leadership may change btw the time the server responds to your exists
> call and the time it takes for TCP/OS to propagate the response to
> your client.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_Distributed_Computing
>
> Patrick

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301