Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0
Good discussion.  +1 to shipping it as 2.0-alpha

I think there are a number of areas, some enumerated already where the 2 line is immature and is likely to change.  I think we should enumerate the areas we expect change and determine which we are comfortable changing in later dot releases and which we need before we can declare the 2 line to be stable.

We should also make sure we are all on the same page in terms of rules of the road for forwards and backwards compatibility between various releases on the 2 line.

Questions:

- Do 2.0 clients work on all future 2 line releases without recompilation?

- Do we know how 1.0 clients migrate to 2.0?  Are there changes we can make to support that?

- What major features are coming soon that will require protocol change
-- Service directory / availability -- Need to be able to change the addresses of services

- Are the YARN APIs complete enough?  I'd like to see a couple of new frameworks implemented to work out the APIs
-- MPI - A classic with new needs
-- Maybe supporting HBase as a service within YARN?  This will test APIs
-- Headless Map-Reduce or Pig jobs?  One should be able to run them without a fat client...
-- Job history tracking for arbitrary frameworks without new server code / framework?

----

What do folks think of this list?  What would you add?