HBase, mail # dev - HBase replication: "in order semantics"

Re: HBase replication: "in order semantics"
Jan Van Besien 2012-11-16, 11:18
On 11/15/2012 06:45 PM, lars hofhansl wrote:
> Yes. If there are failures in the source cluster the replicated data might be delivered out of order.

ok.

> Note that you will never see partial rows applied; replication will enforce HBase's ACID guarantee here,

ok.

> but rows might be delivered out of order, which means the ordering of deletes and puts might change, and hence lead to *temporary* visibility of deleted data. Eventually the state will be correct, though.

I understand that there are situations in which the reordering results
in temporary visibility of deleted data. But additionally I also think
that there are (unlikely) situations which can lead to permanent
visibility of deleted data on the replica.

The situation I think of is:
- put followed by delete on source cluster
- reordering resulting in delete followed by put on replica
- delete gets executed on replica
- a major compaction happens on the replica (thus "really" deleting)
- put gets executed on the replica (thus permanently staying there)

Is there an error in my reasoning?

thanks,
Jan