HBase >> mail # user >> Using separator/delimiter in HBase rowkey?

+
Jason Huang 2013-07-08, 14:19
+
Shahab Yunus 2013-07-08, 15:17
+
Mike Axiak 2013-07-08, 15:14
+
Michael Segel 2013-07-08, 15:29
+
Ted Yu 2013-07-08, 15:40
+
Mike Axiak 2013-07-08, 15:36
+
Michael Segel 2013-07-08, 15:54
+
Mike Axiak 2013-07-08, 16:00
+
Michael Segel 2013-07-08, 16:25
Re: Using separator/delimiter in HBase rowkey?
thanks for all these valuable comments.

Jason

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Where is murmur?
>
> In your app?
> So then every app that wants to fetch that row must now use murmur.
>
> Added to Hadoop/HBase?
> Then when you do upgrades you have to make sure that the package is still
> in your class path. Note that different vendor's release management will
> mean YMMV as to what happens to your class paths and set up or if the jar
> gets blown out of the directory.
>

> Is the added cost in maintenance worth it?
>
> I don't know but I seriously doubt it.
>

> On Jul 8, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Mike Axiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I just don't understand.. every creation/interpretation of the key is
> > going to require code to be used. The murmur implementation is with
> > that code. How is there any extra burden?
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Michael Segel
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> You will need to put the jar into either every app that runs, or you
> will need to put it on every node. Every upgrade, you will need to make
> sure its still in your class path.
> >>
> >> More work for the admins. So how much faster is it over MD5? MD5 and
> SHA-1 are part of the Java libraries that ship w Sun/Oracle so you have
> them already installed and in your class path.
> >>
> >> Just saying... ;-)

> cluster and that's going to be part of your tradeoff.

+
Ted Yu 2013-07-08, 15:58