Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject

Re: [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject
I tend to agree that we should do one at a time, and it is fine with
me to have bookkeeper going out first.

On the discussion of Incubator vs. ZK sub-project, I don't see much
different except for the PMC. If I understand the incubator scheme
correctly, they have one PMC responsible for the oversight of
incubator projects. Since we know the ZooKeeper PMC well and some of
us are actually members of it, it seems more natural to me to stick
with the ZK PMC instead of moving to a different PMC. Consequently, my
current preference is ZK sub-project. Pat also pointed out that the ZK
umbrella is broad enough to accommodate BK/Hedwig according to the
Apache board resolution that established the project.

-Flavio

On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Ivan Kelly wrote:

> I agree about the separation of bookkeeper and hedwig. They solve
> very different problems, so lumping them together feels clunky.
> Perhaps bookkeeper could be moved out of zookeeper first, leaving
> hedwig in until there's more community interest in it.
>
> -Ivan
>
> On 15 Mar 2011, at 23:58, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
>
>> I am interested in contributing to the bookkeeper code. It would be
>> nice to
>> have a community around it. An incubator proposal sounds good, but
>> the
>> zk-subproject should also work well. It woud be nice to separate
>> out hedwig
>> and bookkeeper since they have quite different functionality.
>>
>> -dhruba
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Mahadev Konar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea of BookKeeper/Hedwig being subprojects.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> mahadev

>>> for

>>> hdfs
>>> bookkeeper
>>> bookkeeper

>>> system

>>> For

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301