Hadoop, mail # general - Streamlining the Hadoop release process

Re: Streamlining the Hadoop release process
Robert Evans 2013-04-25, 15:28
I like the idea.  +1

I would just make a few tweaks to it, but I am not married to the tweaks
and would be happy to adopt the proposal as is. I would prefer a trunk
release every quarter.  I am fine if a release manager wants to release
more often, but I think a regular release cadence makes it simpler for
downstream projects and customers to plan for testing and integrating with
these new releases.

I would also like to have a formal process for adopting long term
stabilization branches and for retiring them. The problem with branch-0.23
is that it really is just being stabilized by one group.  This in and of
itself isn't bad but if the majority of the community is on the same base
it will stabilize more quickly, and downstream projects/customers can know
that for the next N-months this branch will be available and receive
bug/security fixes.  At the end of N-months the community can decide to
continue supporting the branch for another period of time or to stop.
That way customers can have confidence that when they adopt a branch they
know how long it will be around for.

Also I would not really want 0.23.7 to be marked as the latest stable
release, unless
1) the community decides that we will maintain it going forward for at
least 6 to 12 more months
2) we have a nice long explanation about why 0.23.X is actually a higher
release than 1.X is and
3) 0.23 gets the changes to the YARN APIs back ported to it.
The 1.X line has support from several organizations to maintain it for at
least the next year or so and there is no need to confuse people about
version numbering.  (Putting on my Yahoo! hat now) we at Yahoo! are still
trying to figure out the exact time frame as to when and how we can move
off of 0.23 and on to 2.0. I don't know if we are going to be supporting
0.23 beyond critical bug fixes nor really for how long we would be doing
that.  It will probably be for the next 6 months or so, but I really don't
know.  It depends on how fast 2.0 becomes stable.

--Bobby