MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Problems

Hi Jean-Marc,
                        The Linux machine on which I am attempting to get
Hadoop running is actually Linux running in a VM partition. This VM
partition had 2 Gigs of RAM when I first encountered the problem. This RAM
allocation has been bumped up to 6 Gigs, but the problem still persists, i.e

bin/hadoop jar hadoop-*-examples.jar grep input output 'dfs[a-z.]+'  still
crashes out as before.

Is there a minimum RAM size requirement?
Will Hadoop run correctly on Linux in a VM partition?

                        I had attempted to run Hadoop in Pseudo-Distributed
Operation mode and this included modifying the conf/core-site.xml,
conf/hdfs-site.xml and the conf/mapred-site.xml files as per the Quick Start
instructions. I also formatted a new distributed-filesystem as per the
instructions. To re-test in Standalone mode with 6 Gigs of RAM, I reversed
the changes to the above three .xml files in /conf. However, I don't see a
way to back-out the distributed-filesystem. Will the existence of this
distributed-filesystem interfere with my Standalone tests?

Regards,

Sean Hudson