From: Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: HBase - Secondary Index

I personally feel that we should only add the primitive apis necessary to
make this work (and if non are required, all the better!), and to try to
keep secondary indexing work it as a separate project on top of hbase
because there are many possible valid architectures and  implementations.

I have two question areas -- one touched upon in previous messages -- what
logging and how do we get consistency guarantee's do we get bewteen the
index and primary?

The other has to do with scalability. I'm not sure I interpreted the slides
correctly, but from the slides 8 and 13, is the architecture such that each
primary table region has a corresponding index table region?

Is slide 14 a comparison of a full table scan vs the indexed lookups on 4
rs's?  What happens if we go up to 20, or 100 rs's?  If I'm right about the
per index region per table region, I have a feeling this isn't going to
scale well with a large number of regions (since it would potentially have
to talk to each region and essentially every region server).

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera