Hadoop >> mail # general >> Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

On May 12, 2011, at 2:23 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> I think Sun NFS might be a good example of similar defacto standard, or MS SMB -it is up to others to show they are compatible with what is effective the reference implementation. Being closed source, there is no option for anyone to include SunOS NFS or MS SMB in their products -the issue of "how much of SunOS NFS to include before you have to stop calling it that" never arose.

SMB and FAT are better examples given how much of NFS and associated protocols are actually defined in RFC's (1094 being the first one). :)

FAT compatibility between devices is notoriously bad if you go beyond simple files.