Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Contributions from github pull requests and license grant

+
Sean Busbey 2013-10-15, 19:50
+
Josh Elser 2013-10-15, 20:03
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 20:08
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 20:11
+
Christopher 2013-10-15, 20:45
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 22:34
+
Christopher 2013-10-15, 22:55
+
Mike Drob 2013-10-15, 22:49
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 23:29
Re: Contributions from github pull requests and license grant
This quote from that thread seems particularly relevant:

"Again, there is no such requirement [to publish via JIRA] for
commits/pushes at Apache. The person responsible for moving the bits
into our repository is responsible for verifying that they have the
right to do so before the push is made." (I take it that "right to do
so" means that the patch is free of IP).

The fact that pull requests include the SHA1 seem to provide
sufficient documentation of intent... but it probably means we need to
preserve those SHA1s by not rebase-ing pull requests, and only doing a
merge, when we apply them (so that the mapping of the documentation of
intent on the dev list to the actual bits in the repo is preserved).

Additionally, we need to be careful when applying a pull request that
we don't pull in additional commits from the repo that weren't in the
original pull request. That means, we need to follow the instructions
in the pull request carefully. The instructions in the pull request
show how to do a merge from the originating repo's url... which could
have additional commits (or may not even exist anymore)... and not the
pull request url. It's probably safer to apply the patch from the pull
request with 'curl <patchUrl> | git am' or the url to the pull request
(if possible) instead of the originator's repo.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii