Hive >> mail # user >> external table or gz compressed file

+
Panshul Whisper 2013-05-02, 13:00
Re: external table or gz compressed file
Hi

INPUT
====Hive can handle gz files out of the box with NO additional configurations

OUTPUT
=====If you want Hive to output to compressed files (say gz) then add the following as part of the hive SQL at the begining
SET hive.exec.compress.output=true;
SET mapred.reduce.tasks=16;    // this will create max 16 gzip files as part of your Hive output query
SET mapred.output.compression.codec=org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec;
SET mapred.output.compression.codec=org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec;
SideNote (may or may not be relevant to u ….nevertheless)
You may know that GZIP is not splittable and unless u have a definite reason to use GZIP (like multiple lines in a log file actually constitute one logical Object or Record) , I would recommend LZO…
A little bit of plumbing is required since they discontinued LZO with Hadoop out of the box…..but its pretty straight forward….and remember to use the LZO indexer to create an index for your output so that the LZO files can be split going fwd
Thanks

sanjay