MapReduce, mail # user - max 1 mapper per node

+
Radim Kolar 2012-04-26, 17:56
+
Robert Evans 2012-04-26, 18:07
+
Radim Kolar 2012-04-27, 05:38
+
Robert Evans 2012-04-27, 15:30
+
Radim Kolar 2012-05-03, 09:19
+
Radim Kolar 2012-05-03, 12:59
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-05-09, 18:33
RE: max 1 mapper per node
Jeffrey Buell 2012-05-09, 19:36
Not to speak for Radim, but what I'm trying to achieve is performance at least as good as 0.20 for all cases.  That is, no regressions.  For something as simple as terasort, I don't think that is possible without being able to specify the max number of mappers/reducers per node.  As it is, I see slowdowns as much as 2X.  Hopefully I'm wrong and somebody will straighten me out.  But if I'm not, adding such a feature won't lead to bad behavior of any kind since the default could be set to unlimited and thus have no effect whatsoever.

I should emphasize that I support the goal of greater automation since Hadoop has way too many parameters and is so hard to tune.  Just not at the expense of performance regressions.

Jeff
We've been against these 'features' since it leads to very bad behaviour across the cluster with multiple apps/users etc.

What is your use-case i.e. what are you trying to achieve with this?

thanks,
Arun