Accumulo, mail # dev - RE: Proposal for splitting ACCUMULO-1242 into subtasks. - 2014-05-14, 09:08

RE: Proposal for splitting ACCUMULO-1242 into subtasks.
Originally, when I first started work on the ticket, using logback would have been my goal.  After going through the code a few times, what is driving me now is really to clean things up a little and position things for an eventual ability to use logback or to upgrade to log4j-2.

After seeing how log4j is being used in Accumulo, well it is going to take a while to get there.  I use a bunch of code that uses logback and it would be nice to manage one logging framework.  It is not a big hurdle, just a nit.  And something always seems to require log4j so I end up with both anyway.

I would at least like to provide the ability of client code to use their logging framework of choice.

I like the message formatting (maybe I'm used to looking at it) and I don't need to remember to put guards (isDegugEnabled) around log statements.

The marker interface seems promising and I'd like to see how it could be leveraged.

And with a request for internationalized logging in ACCUMULO-2797, well slf4j ( seems like it would position us to support that too.

Ed Coleman