Accumulo, mail # user - Found two locations for the same extent - 2014-01-25, 15:13

Found two locations for the same extent
I have a table that appears to be in an inconsistent state.  The master
keeps logging the following exception:

java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.accumulo.server.master.state.TabletLocationState$BadLocationStateException:
found two locations for the same extent

and never balances/migrates or loads any tablets.  I've tried deleting one
of the offending rows in the !METADATA table but, not surprisingly, root
doesn't have proper permissions.

Anyone know how Accumulo 1.5.0 can get in this state and what can be done
to get out of it?