I'd like to see 1.5.2 released first, just in case there are issues we discover during that process that need to be addressed. Also, I think it would be useful to resolve the discussion surrounding upgrades before releasing.
I was thinking the same thing, but I also haven't made any strides towards getting 1.5.2 closer to happening (as I said I'd try to do).
I still lack "physical" resources to do the week-long testing as our guidelines currently force us to do. I still think this testing is excessive if we're actually releasing bug-fixes, but it does differentiate us from other communities.
I'm really not sure how to approach this which is really why I've been stalling on it.
Guidelines don't force anything. By definition, a guideline is a suggestion or recommendation. Even if they were strict requirements, we can agree on different guidelines for bugfix releases. Ultimately, it comes down to whoever has time to create the release plan/release candidate and the results of the vote.
I agree with Mike that 1.5.2 should get out first, and that the upgrade discussion should complete first. If we're going to support 1.4->1.6 upgrades (and I think that's the direction we're converging on), that should happen in 1.6.1, not later. Christopher L Tubbs II http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The general verbage of the page is using a SHOULD context which is usually interpreted as a "must". I just don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers (or waste my own time) if it's going to be -1'ed because of insufficient testing.
"I just don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers (or waste my own time) if it's going to be -1'ed because of insufficient testing."
Yeah, understood. I'm just thinking that it might be good to first propose new guidelines for a bugfix release, and then release accordingly. If somebody objects to the looser guidelines (it won't be me), that should come out in the guidelines proposal, rather than hold up the release. Christopher L Tubbs II http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I want to run some CI test because of the changes I made w/ walog. I can run the test, but I would like to do that as late as possible. Just let me know when you are thinking of cutting a release.
Also, I would like to get 2827 in for the release.
Because of ACCUMULO-2988 (upgrade path from 1.4.x --> 1.6.y, y >= 1), I'm hoping we can revisit this soon. Maybe get 1.5.2 out the door, followed by 1.6.1 right away. Christopher L Tubbs II http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's exactly my plan, Christopher. Keith has been the man working on a fix for ACCUMULO-1628 which is what I've been spinning on to get 1.5.2 out the door. I want to spend a little time today looking at his patch to understand the fix and run some tests myself. Hopefully John can retest the patch as well since he had an environment that could reproduce the bug.
Right after we get 1.5.2, I'm happy to work on 1.6.1 as well.