Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Re: [DISCUSS] Thrift 0.9.1 in Accumulo 1.6.1

[DISCUSS] Thrift 0.9.1 in Accumulo 1.6.1
Devs,

I'm considering whether or not it'd be appropriate to push in
ACCUMULO-1691 into the 1.6.1-SNAPSHOT branch.
This would effectively bump our dependency on libthrift to 0.9.1.
However, thrift 0.9.1 and 0.9.0 are 100% wire-compatible (I've been
assured by jfarrell and codesf in the #thrift IRC channel).

Given that this we provide this dependency, and the bump would fix
some thrift bugs, and that Thrift's own API is backwards-compatible in
this version, I don't think this would impact our community except in
the positive.

(Note: currently, my patch for ACCUMULO-1691 bumps up the wire
version, but I plan on changing that so it doesn't, now that I've been
assured it is compatible... I've also done some manual tests to verify
this, and haven't seen any issues across our tests, even without
re-generating the thrift classes in ACCUMULO-2773; If I roll
ACCUMULO-1691 in, I'd also include ACCUMULO-2773.)

Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii