HBase, mail # user - Scanner timeout -- any reason not to raise?

+
Dan Crosta 2013-03-17, 18:46
+
Ted Yu 2013-03-17, 20:46
+
Dan Crosta 2013-03-17, 20:56
Re: Scanner timeout -- any reason not to raise?
Ted Yu 2013-03-17, 21:20
The lease timeout is used by row locking too.
That's the reason behind splitting the setting into two config parameters.

How is your load composition ? Do you mostly serve reads from HBase ?

Cheers

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Dan Crosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah, thanks Ted -- I was wondering what that setting was for.
>
> We are using CDH 4.2.0, which is HBase 0.94.2 (give or take a few
> backports from 0.94.3).
>
> Is there any harm in setting the lease timeout to something larger, like 5
> or 10 minutes?
>
> Thanks,
> - Dan
>
> On Mar 17, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Ted Yu wrote:
>
> > Which HBase version are you using ?
> >
> > In 0.94 and prior, the config param is hbase.regionserver.lease.period
> >
> > In 0.95, it is different. See release notes of HBASE-6170
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Dan Crosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> We occasionally get scanner timeout errors such as "66698ms passed since
> >> the last invocation, timeout is currently set to 60000" when iterating a
> >> scanner through the Thrift API. Is there any reason not to raise the
> >> timeout to something larger than the default 60s? Put another way, what
> >> resources (and how much of them) does a scanner take up on a thrift
> server
> >> or region server?
> >>
> >> Also, to confirm -- I believe "hbase.rpc.timeout" is the setting in
> >> question here, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> - Dan

+
Dan Crosta 2013-03-20, 16:32