Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Deployment planning question

+
Jason Harmon 2012-02-03, 21:01
+
Benjamin Reed 2012-02-03, 22:05
Re: Deployment planning question
Another option is to design for partition by putting a ZK in each
datacenter.  There are a variety of ways to detect partition so that each
datacenter can function, but also know if there is a partition happening.
 It is often true that useful things can be done even in the case of
partition.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Benjamin Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> what do you want to happen if both datacenters are up, but there is a
> partition so that they cannot communicate with each other? answering
> that question may get you closer to an answer.
>
> i think your two main options are to:
>
> 1) designate a data center that you require to be up for things to
> work. then you can put two in that one and one in the other
> 2) otherwise you need to setup a machine in another datacenter or
> amazon instance or something that will in effect decide which data
> center can run if one of the datacenters goes down or you are in the
> partition scenario above.
>
> ben
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Jason Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > We are planning a ZooKeeper deployment, but are struggling with some
> aspects of our current architecture. We have two data centers; most
> applications use load balancing between the two data centers to ensure
> redundancy for disaster recovery etc. ZooKeeper has been challenging for
> us, because we can't quite figure out how to structure our servers. We
> aren't starting with lots of clients, so 3 servers should be a good fit
> initially. However, if we put two servers in one datacenter, and one server
> in the other, we're setup for a quorum failure if we have a power outage at
> the datacenter with two boxes.
> > Short of setting up a third data center for our division, what options
> do we have for deploying ZooKeeper effectively, with disaster recovery in
> mind etc.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jason Harmon
> > Senior Software Architect