HBase, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Making hadoop 2 the default precommit for trunk ones we get green builds

+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-04-26, 00:34
+
Ted Yu 2013-04-26, 01:44
+
Stack 2013-04-26, 03:55
+
Nicolas Liochon 2013-04-26, 04:09
Re: [DISCUSS] Making hadoop 2 the default precommit for trunk ones we get green builds
Elliott Clark 2013-04-26, 00:39
I think trunk/0.97 should build on hadoop 2 by default, and 0.95/0.96
should stay on hadoop1 by default.  Then we get pretty good coverage
on jenkins and those two branches are staying pretty close to each
other right now so we should notice any breakage due to hadoop compat
pretty easily.
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> tl;dr after we get hadoop2 build fixed, how about making hadoop2 the
> default for trunk precommit and trunk jenkins jobs?
>
> Over in HBASE-6891, we've fixed the unit tests with hadoop2 on trunk that
> always fail or always hang.  We are getting close on getting the hadoop2 +
> trunk build passing (right now there are a combination of tests that hang
> sometimes or fail sometimes -- and I've seen a run where the hbase-server
> module passed on hadoop2).
>
> Initially I was thinking that we'd create a two-headed precommit script
> that ran unit tests against trunk on hadoop1 and hadoop2.  This was far
> down in a thread so may not have been considered by many folks.   I'd like
> to suggest (actually Elliot's idea) that we set the default precommit trunk
> build to be against hadoop2.  Over the "normal" jenkins runs, we'd move
> trunk to hadoop2 as well.  We would however keep the 0.95 branch against
> hadoop 1.x and would thus get coverage of much of the new code under both
> setups.
>
> This buys us two things:
>
> 1) We get coverage against hadoop2, which will likely be the post
> singularity hbase should use as a default.
> 2) We end up having the same number of build jobs and avoid having two
> separate hadoop2 hadoop1 precommit builds for trunk.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jon
>
> --
> // Jonathan Hsieh (shay)