Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

Re: [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
Sharad Agarwal 2012-08-17, 05:53
As someone who has contributed major code to YARN, I would prefer to have
the committer list to be inclusive of all MR committers.
I quickly browsed the list of MR and HDFS committers. Lot of HDFS
committers are really folks who have worked on only MR side (like me) who
have rarely contributed to HDFS. Same holds true for some MR committers.
And there is a huge overlap even with the "common" sub project.

I understand giving committer status is primarily based on
"familiarity/contribution to a particular sub-project" + "trust a person
gains by working on other parts of project". IMO the second point is much
more important and in past we have given committership based on this.
Contribution in one part of the project earns someone trust.I don't think
we have seen instances where people have misused that in the past.

After all, it is all part of the same TLP Hadoop. Then why to create walls
by creating so many lists and the management overhead too.

IMO we should look at merging the other lists too but that anyway is a
separate discussion.