HBase >> mail # dev >> Data types stage 1 is ready for reivew

Data types stage 1 is ready for reivew
Heya devs,

I have two 90k patches I'd like to get some more eyes on. The first is the
OrderedBytes patch, HBASE-8201 [0]. It is lightly analogous to the existing
Bytes.toXXX methods, but implements order-preserving serialization
strategies. Its encoding format can be inspected to determine the encoding
used. The patch is nearing completion, so now's the time to add your
concerns to RB [1]. The major outstanding issue with this patch is its use
of ByteBuffers; there's concern about the amount of garbage that will be
generated in tight loops. Our ByteRange was proposed as a mutable
alternative. The other concern is performance of the encoding
implementations. While performance is a consideration in this
implementation, I've created a separate ticket [2] for evaluating and
improving runtime performance. Please keep your attention on the on-disk
formats and APIs this patch implements.

The second is the Data Types API patch, HBASE-8693 [3]. It provides a
user-extensible data type API and includes implementations of a number of
simple types. Many of those types depend on the encoding provided by
OrderedByes. It also provides a collection of "legacy" types, which all use
the existing Bytes.toXXX methods. These are intended to ease the burden of
transitioning an existing HBase application over to the new data types
APIs. This patch is in an earlier stage, but it's conceptually quite simple
so it should be easier to review. It's also available on RB [4].

Thanks for your time and attention,
Nick

[0]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8201
 [1]: https://reviews.apache.org/r/11633/