HBase >> mail # user >> Disable timestamp in HBase Table a.k.a Disable Versioning in HBase Table

Disable timestamp in HBase Table a.k.a Disable Versioning in HBase Table
Hi All,

We are planning to store data in HBase. Currently, in one of our use case
once a row is written into HBase Table we wont be modifying the data of
that row. Since, for every cell(right?) in HBase a timestamp(long value) is
stored; this would take up extra 8 bytes. I was thinking is there a way to
disable timestamp on HBase table when versioning is not required. I went
through the documentation and searched mailing list for same but could not
find anything relevant. Since we are talking about billions of cells, this
would add up to significant amount of space.(around 7.45 GigaBytes for 1
billion cells). Does this sounds like a feature HBase is missing?

Please share your thoughts.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta