HBase, mail # dev - HBase wire compatibility

Re: HBase wire compatibility
Todd Lipcon 2012-02-16, 23:09
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Jeff Whiting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Will this allow for hbase clients in other languages?  It seems that if pb
> are being used then any language pb supports could have a first class client
> and not have to use a separate (and not super maintained) thrift server. You
> would want to keep the client to be light though if it were to be ported to
> other languages.
>
> IMHO it seems that if we are going to the work of redoing the client
> communications we should be considering other languages.  It seems like
> having first class clients in various languages could only increase hbase
> adoption which would be a good thing :-)  I would really like to see hbase
> be more usable from other languages besides java.

The issue is that HBase's client is necessarily not thin. It requires
a lot of knowledge of HBase itself -- so certainly moving to PB would
get us one step closer, but it would still be quite a bit of work to
write a new client in another language. Certainly if someone comes
along with one, that would be nice, but I don't think we should take
it upon the project (yet) to maintain any other language clients.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera