HBase >> mail # dev >> Next big thing for HBase

Re: Next big thing for HBase
I could buy these results for a totally disk bound application as far as
reads go. I was running some experiments where I have HFiles on disk.
Memory : data ratio is 1:2 - so half the data can fit in memory. Then I run
"new HFileScanner()" and then scanner.seekTo("someKeyValue"). On a 4 HDD
system, I can get ~400 reads max. The hard drives end run quite hot - and
the max I can push this thing to is 500 reads per second. Note that this is
raw HFile seeks - no HBase or HDFS layers are present. I suspect HBase just
issues way more iops than it needs to do.

Varun