Hadoop >> mail # general >> Question about protocol buffer RPC

+
Hangjun Ye 2013-01-09, 02:08
+
Hangjun Ye 2013-01-09, 04:44
Re: Question about protocol buffer RPC
Avro and Thrift both work well for RPC implementations.

I have lately been using protobufs with protobuf-rpc-pro and have been very
happy with it.  It has much of the debuggability of Thrift, but with
protobufs.

See http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-rpc-pro/

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Hangjun Ye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our project is facing similar problem: choosing a PRC framework.
> So I want to know if there are any drawbacks in Avro/Thrift and then Hadoop
> doesn't use them.
>
> Would appreciate if any insights could be shared for this!
>

> 2013/1/9 Hangjun Ye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Looks Hadoop is using Google's protocol buffer for its RPC (correct me if
> > I'm wrong).
> >
> > Avro/Thrift do the same thing, support more language, and have a complete
> > PRC implementation. Seems Google's protocol buffer PRC only has a
> framework
> > but doesn't include implementation with a concrete network framework.
> >
> > So just curious the rationale behind this?
> >
> > --
> > Hangjun Ye
> >

> --
> Hangjun Ye