HBase >> mail # dev >> Consistency issue when a Put is in the memstore but a more recent Delete is cleaned in a major compaction

+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2013-03-19, 20:42
+
Ted Yu 2013-03-19, 21:24
+
Ted Yu 2013-03-19, 21:27
Re: Consistency issue when a Put is in the memstore but a more recent Delete is cleaned in a major compaction
I think this came up in recent discussions about the whether we get get rid
of delete tombstones on non-major compactions. One of the subtasks for
stripe compactions deals with this case.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is also related:
>
> HBASE-8086 Major compact should flush memstore firstly
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Here is one related thread (on minor compaction, though) :
> >
> > Is it feasible to delete qualified tombstones during minor compaction?
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hey guys,
> >>
> >> I looked around a bit and couldn't find a jira directly related to
> >> this. Here's an example of inconsistency in every HBase version
> >> (although the shell won't let you do it in trunk):
> >>
> >> create 't', 'f'
> >> delete 't', '1', 'f:1', 3
> >> flush 't'
> >> put 't', '1', 'f:1', '1', 2
> >> scan 't'
> >> major_compact 't'
> >> scan 't'
> >>
> >> The first scan returns nothing, the second one returns the row 1. This
> >> is the same when the delete is bulk loaded and then major compacted
> >> (which is a more legitimate use case).
> >>
> >> What's the common wisdom here? Does anyone remember if we had this
> >> discussion in the past?
> >>
> >> Thx,
> >>
> >> J-D

+