MapReduce >> mail # user >> Chaning Multiple Reducers: Reduce -> Reduce -> Reduce

+
Jim Twensky 2012-10-05, 16:31
+
Harsh J 2012-10-05, 17:18
+
Jim Twensky 2012-10-05, 17:43
+
Harsh J 2012-10-05, 17:54
+
Jim Twensky 2012-10-05, 18:02
Re: Chaning Multiple Reducers: Reduce -> Reduce -> Reduce
Have you looked at graph processing for Hadoop? Like Hama (
http://hama.apache.org/) or Giraph (http://incubator.apache.org/giraph/).
I can't say for sure it would help you but it seems to be in the same
problem domain.

With regard to the chaining reducer issue this is indeed a general
implementation decision of Hadoop 1.
>From a purely functional point of view, regardless of performance, I guess
it could be shown that a map/reduce/map can be done with a reduce only and
that a sequence of map can be done with a single map. Of course, with
Hadoop the picture is bit more complex due to the sort phase.

map -> sort -> reduce : operations in map/reduce can not generally be
transferred due to the sort 'blocking' them when they are related to the
sort key
reduce -> map : all operations can be performed in the reduce
So
map -> sort -> reduce -> map -> sort -> reduce -> map -> sort -> reduce
can generally be implemented as
map -> sort -> reduce -> sort -> reduce -> sort -> reduce
if you are willing to let the possibility of having different scaling
options for maps and reduces

And that's what you are asking. But with hadoop 1 the map phase is not an
option (even though you could use the identify but that's not a wise option
with regards to performance like you said). The picture might be changing
with Hadoop 2/YARN. I can't provide the details but it may be worth it to
look at it.

Regards

Bertrand

Bertrand Dechoux