HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: Hadoop Solaris OS compatibility

Re: Hadoop Solaris OS compatibility
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Jitendra Yadav
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Since few years, I'm working as hadoop admin on Linux platform,Though we
> have majority of servers on Solaris (Sun Sparc hardware). Many times I have
> seen that hadoop is compatible with Linux. Is that right?. If yes then what
> all things I need to have so that I can run hadoop on Solaris in production?
> Do I need to build hadoop source on Solaris?

Hadoop has a # of extension points that require compilations of native C/C++
code. Most of that code should be reasonably portable, but you'll have to
try for yourself. SPARC may present an additional challenge with regard
to some of the recent issue of unaligned memory access -- watch out for
those as well.

If you're interested in getting Hadoop to run on Solaris -- you can also ping
me off-list with particular questions.

Thanks,
Roman.