HBase, mail # dev - Release 0.90.3 soon?

Re: Release 0.90.3 soon?
Dave Latham 2011-05-04, 16:10
I was one of those bitten by the connection identity changes in 0.90 and
TableOutputFormat issues.  I was very glad to see HBASE-3777 addressed, and
many thanks to those who did the work to sort it out.  I'd love to have it
soon, but I have to agree that it's a pretty fundamental change and seems
high risk to put into a point release.

I knew there were some big changes moving from 0.20 to 0.90, so I did some
rigorous testing on our cluster (still haven't rolled out 0.90 yet) and
ended up making some non-trivial changes to our HBase usage and automated
tests to accomodate the the connection identity issues in 0.90.  I wouldn't
expect that level of change in a point release, and don't put point releases
through as much testing.

I think it's worth putting more effort into getting 0.92 out the door as
soon as is reasonable to get this change and others out.  Keep the point
releases as risk free as possible.  Users should have a high degree of
confidence that they are strictly improvements, and if their system works on
one point release, it should work on the next without modifications.

Dave