Hadoop, mail # general - Rejuvenate Hadoop 0.22 effort

Re: Rejuvenate Hadoop 0.22 effort
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-09-24, 00:34
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Konstantin Shvachko
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> == TESTING => 5. I think Steve's idea of integrating 0.22 with Apache BigTop is
> great. Will be glad to see any steps in this direction.

The basic integration is done. We can produce fully functional RPM
and DEB packages for Hadoop 0.22 release.

This is good news. The bad news is that very few downstream components
can be compiled against .22. And I'm not talking changes to versions, pom.xml
and build.xml files. I'm talking API incompatibilities. Pig, Hive, HBase, Mahout
all need to be modified to support .22. Before that's done -- there's
little that
can be done as far as stack validation is concerned.

Given that work needs to be done in downstream components, I've got 2 questions:
   1. do we know if the API delta between .22 and .23 is as
significant as betwen
   .22 and .20.2?

   2. what's the common approach downstream to support multiple versions of
   Hadoop APIs? Or is this even something that can be asked of all the
components?

Thanks,
Roman.