Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Incubator report due by July 4th

Re: Incubator report due by July 4th

On Jul 2, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Chris Douglas wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This is one option for this project.  More specifically, maybe we can move the code base into Hadoop, if they're amenable to the idea.
>
> Feel free to ask, but becoming a Hadoop subproject again is not viable
> in my opinion. Nobody on the Hadoop PMC is knowledgeable about Chukwa
> and, frankly, that is unlikely to change; passing a release vote will
> be obnoxiously difficult. Hadoop cannot be an "umbrella" project and
> it cannot absorb all, most, or even many of the current, related
> incubator projects. The options for Chukwa are continued incubation or
> the attic.
>
> It's great to hear that it's being used, but its development community
> in Apache has shrunk since incubation began. We can't keep extending
> incubation unless we have some more activity, here. Apache isn't a
> hosting service; there are plenty of places that do a better job of
> that.
>
> We set some goals for Chukwa that are not satisfied. We can resurrect
> this project at the ASF if our optimism is well-founded and a
> community develops, but this incubation has run its course. -C

What you say makes sense to me.

I wonder if another option is Apache Labs.   Eric could tinker around on it there.  Of course one cannot publish release but then you can't do that either when the project is in the attic.
Regards,
Alan